I have my laptop, charged and ready to go. I have the month of November, decks cleared and waiting. I have my account at nanowrimo.org and a cluster of oddly shaped word associations scribbled in my notebook that I’m calling an outline.
Can you hear the engines revving? That’s me, getting ready to write the fourth Magnificent Devices book during National Novel Writing Month.
All I need is a title.
I know, I know … the more observant among you will have noted that it was supposed to be A Lady of Resources. But I think Claire’s story arc will be wrapped up in this fourth book … and I want the quartet to have the same naming convention. A Lady of Resources stuck there at the end of the row will look a bit odd, don’t you think? Besides, I like the sound of it for book five—and so does Maggie. “Ent no lady,” she says, “but it ‘as a nice ring to it.”
So here are some of the themes in book four:
- Finding that which was lost
- Achieving dreams—and finding they lead to new horizons
- Diamond mines
- New inventions
- A love triangle (you knew that was coming, didn’t you?)
Spoilery enough for you? I’ve now spent an entire morning with the thesaurus and have flung it across the room in despair. Here are some titles on the do-not-call list.
- Homing Devices. Sounds like something you’d get in a guns ‘n’ ammo store.
- Elegant Devices. Hm. But diamond mines aren’t so elegant, are they?
- Extraordinary Devices. Won’t fit on the cover. Besides, Art Donovan beat me to it.
- Infernal Devices. Ditto K.W. Jeter.
If you have a suggestion, do leave it in the comments. And if yours turns out to be The One, I’ll send you a copy of the book!